I joined Penn in the Fall of 2003 after being at MIT for three years as a
I received my Ph.D. in Physics from Harvard University in 2000.
My positions and honors are:
Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Award for Distinguished Teaching by an Assistant
Professor, University of Pennsylvania, 2008.
DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2008.
PECASE Award (Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers), 2005.
Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship (2005-2007)
NSF Career Award (2005-)
ONR Young Investigator Award (2004-2009)
ACS PRF Award (2004-2006)
Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, University of Pennsylvania (2003-2009)
Pappalardo Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sept. 2000 - Sept. 2003)
Research Associate, Harvard University (Sept. 1996 - June 2000)
Robbins Prize, Harvard Physics Department (1997).
Harold T. White Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Harvard Physics Department (1997).
Clare Booth Luce Fellow, Harvard University (Sept. 1995 - Sept. 1996)
Herchel Smith Harvard Fellow, University of Cambridge, England, Semiconductor Physics Group (Sept. 1994 - Sept. 1995)
Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude, Harvard College 1994.
Harvard College Scholarship (1992-1994).
Ph.D. Physics, Harvard University (2000)
A.M. Physics, Harvard University (1997)
M.Phil. Physics, University of Cambridge (1995)
My research and the research in our lab is focused on the exploration of mesoscopic and nanoscale structures in the areas of experimental condensed matter physics, nanoscience and nanotechnology. We study the fundamental physical properties of low-dimensional and small-scale structures such as nanocrystals, nanowires and biomaterials and we develop their device applications. Examples include the study and control of nanocrystal assembly, fabrication of electronic devices and understanding the basic mechanisms of charge and spin transport in them: the effects of Coulomb interactions, electron tunneling and charge fluctuations. Experimental techniques involve electrical measurements, microscopy, and nanofabrication. Some specific research topics include: Nanocrystal synthesis, assembly and manipulation Nanoparticle-based electronics Fluorescence of single nanoparticles and nanoparticle ensembles Molecular analysis with nanoelectrode devices Force microscopy of nanoparticles Nanofabrication (nanogaps, TEBAL) Charge detection with mesoscopic structures Graphene nanodevices and nanoelectronics Single-molecule (DNA, microRNA etc.) detection and analysis with nanopores
- M. Wanunu, D. Cohen-Karni, R. Johnson, L. Fields, J. Benner, N. Peterman, Y. Zheng, M. Klein, M. Drndic, "Discrimination of methylcytosine from hydroxymethylcytosine in DNA molecules", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 133 (3), 486-492, 2011.
- M. Wanunu, T. Dadosh, V. Ray, J. Jin, L. McReynolds, M. Drndic, "Rapid electronic detection of probe-specific microRNAs using thin nanopore sensors", Nature Nanotechnology 5, 807-814, 2010.
- C. Merchant, K. Healy, M. Wanunu, V. Ray, N. Peterman, J. Bartel, M.D. Fischbein, K. Venta, Z. Luo, A.T.C. Johnson, M. Drndic, "DNA translocation through graphene nanopores", Nano Letters 10 (8), 2915-2921, 2010.
- M. D. Fischbein, M. Puster, M. Drndic, "Monolayer suppression of transport imaged in annealed PbSe nanocrystal arrays", Nano Letters 10 (6), 2155-2161, 2010.
- C. H. Crouch, O. Sauter, X. Wu, R. Purcell, C. Querner, M. Drndic, M. Pelton, "Facts and artifacts in the blinking statistics of semiconductor nanocrystals", Nano Letters 10 (5), 1692-1698, 2010.
- L.J. Willis*, J.A. Fairfield*, T. Dadosh*, M. D. Fischbein, M. Drndic, "Controlling nanogap quantum dot photoconductivity through optoelectronic trap manipulation", Nano Letters 9(12), 4191-4197, 2009.
- Claudia Querner, Siying Wang, Ken Healy, Jessamyn Fairfield, Michael D. Fischbein and Marija Drndić, "Fluorescence dynamics of semiconductor nanorod clusters studied by correlated atomic-force, transmission-electron and fluorescence microscopy", J. Phys. Chem. C 112 (50), 19945-19956, 2008.
- S. Wang, C. Querner, M. D. Fischbein, L. Willis, D. Novikov, C.H. Crouch, M. Drndić, "Blinking statistics correlated with nanoparticle number", Nano Letters, 8 (11), 4020-4026, 2008.
- M. D. Fischbein and M. Drndić, "Electron beam nanosculpting of suspended graphene sheets", Applied Physics Letters 93, 113107, 2008.
- C. Querner, M. D. Fischbein, P. A. Heiney, M. Drndić, "Milimeter-scale assembly of CdSe nanorods into smectic superstructures by solvent drying kinetics", Advanced Materials 20 (12), 2308-2314, 2008.
- M. D. Fischbein and M. Drndić, "Sub-10 nm Device Fabrication in a Transmission Electron Microscope", Nano Letters 7, 1329, 2007.
- S. Wang, C. Querner, T. Emmons, M. Drndić, C. H. Crouch, "Fluorescence blinking statistics from CdSe core and core-shell nanorods", J. Phys. Chem. B 110 (46), 23221-23227, 2006.
- Z. Hu*, M. D. Fischbein*, C. Querner, M. Drndić, "Electric-field-driven accumulation and alignment of CdSe and CdTe nanorods in nanoscale devices", Nano Letters 6 (11), 2585-2591, 2006.
- D. R. Strachan, D. E. Smith, M. D. Fischbein, D.E. Johnston, B.S. Guiton, M. Drndić, D.A. Bonnell, A.T. Johnson, "Clean electromigrated nanogaps imaged by transmission electron microscopy", Nano Letters 6 (3), 441, 2006.
- M. D. Fischbein and M. Drndić, "Nanogaps by direct lithography for high-resolution imaging and electronic characterization of nanostructures", Applied Physics Letters 88 (6), 063116, 2006; cond-mat/0512128; featured in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, 13 (7), 2006.
- Hu Zonghai, Fischbein Michael D., Drndić Marija, "Local charge transport in two-dimensional PbSe nanocrystal arrays studied by electrostatic force microscopy", Nano Letters 5 (7), 1463, 2005.
- Fischbein M. D. and Drndić M., "CdSe nanocrystal quantum-dot memory", Applied Physics Letters 86 (19), 193106, 2005; featured in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, 11 (19), 2005.
- Drndić M., Markov R., Jarosz M.V., Kastner M.A., Bawendi M.G., Markovic N., Tinkham M., "Imaging the charge transport in arrays of CdSe nanocrystals", Applied Physics Letters 84, 4008, 2003.
- Drndić M., Jarosz M.V., Morgan N.Y., Kastner M.A., Bawendi M.G., "Transport properties of annealed CdSe colloidal nanocrystal solids", Journal of Applied Physics 92 (12),7498, 2002; featured in Virtual Journal of Nanoscience and Technology, vol. 6 (24), Dec. 9, 2002.
- Morgan N.Y., Leatherdale C.A., Drndić M., Jarosz M.V., Bawendi M.G., Kastner M.A., "Electronic transport in films of colloidal CdSe nanocrystals" , Physical Review B 66, 075339, 2002.
- Drndić M., Lee C.S., Westervelt R.M., "Three-dimensional microelectromagnets for neutral and charged particles", Physical Review B 63 (8), 085321, 2001.
- Dekker N.H., Lee C.S., Lorent V., Thywissen J.H., Drndić M., Westervelt R.M., Prentiss M., “Guiding neutral atoms on a chip”, Physical Review Letters 84, p. 1124-1127, 2000.
- Johnson K.S., Drndić M., Thywissen J.H., Zabow G., Prentiss M., Westervelt R.M., “Atomic deflection using an adaptive microelectromagnet mirror”, Physical Review Letters 81(6), p.1137-1141, 1998.
- Drndić M., Zabow G., Lee C., Thywissen J.H., Johnson K.S., Prentiss M., Westervelt R.M., Featonby P., Savalli V. , Cognet L., Helmerson K., Westbrook N., Westbrook C.I., Phillips W.D., Aspect A., “Properties of microelectromagnet mirrors as reflectors of cold Rb atoms”, Physical Review A 60 (5), p.4012-4015, 1999.
- Drndić M, Johnson KS, Thywissen JH, et al., “Micro-electromagnets for atom manipulation”, Applied Physics Letters 72 (22), p. 2906-2908, 1998.
- Drndić M., Grimshaw M.P., Cooper L.J., Ritchie D. A., Patel N., “Tunable electron-hole gases in gated InAs/GaSb/AlSb systems”, Applied Physics Letters 70, p.481-483, 1997.
Phys 101: General Physics: Mechanics, Heat, Sound
Phys 411: Intro Quantum Mechanics
Phys 412: Intro to Quantum Mechanics II
September 26, 2016 - 2:00 pm
Ioannis Papadimitriou (SISSA)
David Rittenhouse Laboratory, 2N36
September 26, 2016 - 4:00 pm
Yoseph Barash, University of Pennsylvania
Carolyn Lynch Laboratory, 318
September 27, 2016 - 6:00 pm
Professor Vijay Balasubramanian
World Cafe Live 3025 Walnut Street