- Assistant Professor, University of Pennsylvania (2018-)
- Elliman Faculty Fellow, Vagelos Institute for Energy Science and Technology, University of Pennsylvania (2018-)
- Postdoctoral Associate, jointly between MIT and Technion (2014-2017)
- Ph.D. Physics, MIT (2014)
- B.S. Mathematics & Physics, Tsinghua University (2008)
Honors & Awards:
- ECASE award from ARO (2019)
- Kaufman New Investigator Grant (2018)
- Air Force Young Investigator Award (2018)
- MIT, Presidential Fellowship (2008)
- Tsinghua University, National Scholarships (2005 – 2007)
- Tsinghua University, Outstanding Freshman Scholarship (2004)
My research focuses on using tools in experimental nano-photonics to attack problems in condensed matter physics and quantum electrodynamics, with an eye on their practical applications. A few current interests of mine include topological photonics, non-Hermitian physics, polaritonics, and photonic integrated circuits.
Phys 151: Principles of Physics II
- "Exceptional surfaces in PT-symmetric non-Hermitian systems" H. Zhou, J. Lee, S. Liu, and B. Zhen, Optica 6, 2, 190 (2019).
- "Observation of bulk Fermi arc and polarization half charge from paired exceptional points" H. Zhou, C. Peng, Y. Yoon, C. W. Hsu, K. A. Nelson, L. Fu, J. D. Joannopoulos, M. Soljačić, and B. Zhen, Science 359, 1009 (2018).
- “Direct imaging of isofrequency contours in photonic structures” E. C. Regan*, Y. Igarashi*, B. Zhen*, I. Kaminer, C. W. Hsu, Y. Shen, J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Soljačić, Science Advances, 2, 1601591 (2016).
- “Bound states in the continuum” C.W. Hsu*, B. Zhen*, A.D. Stone, J.D. Joannopoulos, and M. Soljačić, Nature Review Material, 1, 16048 (2016).
- “Electromagnetic pathway: flexible yet robust”, B. Zhen and M. Soljačić, Nature Materials, Views and News, 15, 494-495 (2016).
- “Spawning Rings of Exceptional Points out of Dirac Cones”, B. Zhen*, C.W. Hsu*, Y. Igarashi*, L. Ling, I. Kaminer, A. Pick, S.-L. Chua, J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Soljačić, Nature, 525, 354, (2015).
- “Topological nature of optical bound states in the continuum” B. Zhen*, C. W. Hsu*, L. Ling, A. D. Stone, and M. Soljačić, Physical Review Letters 113, 257401 (2014).
- “Enabling Enhanced Emission and Low-Threshold Lasing of Organic Molecules Using Special Fano Resonances of Macroscopic Photonic Crystals”, B. Zhen*, S.-L. Chua*, J. Lee, A. W. Rodriguez, X. Laing, S. G. Johnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, M. Soljačić, and O. Shapira, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110 (34) 13711-13716 (2013).
- “Observation of Trapped Light within the Radiation Continuum” C. W. Hsu*, B. Zhen*, J. Lee, S.-L. Chua, S. G. Johnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Soljačić, Nature 499 (7457), 188-191 (2013)
- “Observation and Differentiation of Unique High-Q Optical Resonances Near Zero Wave Vector in Macroscopic Photonic Crystal Slabs.” J. Lee*, B. Zhen*, S.-L. Chua*, W. Qiu, J. D. Joannopoulos, M. Soljačić, and O. Shapira, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109(6), 067401 (2012)
* denotes equal contribution