Click here to download the installation package (100 MB)
This page provides instructions for downloading and installing the Free Trial Version of Datasqueeze for Macintosh. You may run this version for up to ten days before purchasing a registered version. If, after downloading and running the trial version, you decide you want a upgrade to the full-featured registered version, please
request an access key-this is all you will need to make the upgrade.
Datasqueeze is also available for Linux,
Unix-like operating systems..
Apple recently made it much more difficult to install a pure Java application on Macintosh. Accordingly, Datasqueeze is now run from a shell script. It has the same functionality as before, but the interface is not quite as pretty and installation is slightly more complicated.
- You may need to be the "administrator" for some parts of this. If you do not have permission to do this, talk to your system administrator.
- You must first download and install the latest version of Java by going to https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
Double-click the .dmg image that you download, open the disk, and install Java.
- Point your browser to https://www.physics.upenn.edu/~heiney/datasqueeze/ds_installation.dmg to download the installation package.
- Double-click the .dmg file that appears to open the disk image.
- Inside the folder called Datasqueeze you will find a file by the same name. This is the command script. Open it with any text editor (TextEdit, a standard Macintosh utility should work).
- The file consists of a single command line which invokes the version of java that you just installed. As of the release of this version of Datasqueeze, that is
However, it is possible that by the time you do the installation the version may have been changed. Update the command to reflect the version that you just installed.
- Drag the Datasqueeze folder to the Applications folder on your main hard drive (probably called Macintosh HD). There is also a link to this folder on the installation disk.
- If you look inside the Applications/Datasqueeze folder you should see the following:
Inside the dataqueeze_files folder you should
see the following items:
- A file called Datasqueeze.jar. This contains the actual Java code.
- A file called Datasqueeze. Double clicking this will invoke the program itself. You can also drag it to your Desktop or some other folder.
- A folder called Datasqueeze_files
- A file called datasqueeze_manual.pdf. This is the Manual --you could copy it
anywhere convenient or print it out if you wanted.
- A folder called Samples. Within it are:
- Files called agbe_calib.unw and sample.unw. These are "typical" Bruker-Siemens
data files for you to play with.
- A file called agbe.std. This is a typical Bruker calibration file, for silver beheneate,
which you could
- When you first run, you will be asked to enter an access code and to agree to some legal stuff. If you do not have an access code, you can run the Trial version, for up to ten days. If, after downloading and running the trial version, you decide you want to upgrade to the full-featured registered version, please click here to acquire an access key-this is all you will need to make the upgrade.
- An onboard help menu provides additional instructions; new users are strongly urged to read the help file (or the corresponding section in this manual) and the tutorial before using the program. (Most components in the graphical interface can also be control-clicked for a short description).
- When the installation is completed you can drag ds_installation.dmg the disk image, and the ds_installation folder (if they all still exist) to the Trash.
- Some complications:
- During the download or installation process you may get a message saying that Datasqueeze cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. In this case, you need to go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General and tell it to allow apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers.
- The system may refuse to let Datasqueeze read or write files. In this case you should go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> and tell it to allow java to access files in the relevant folders.
- If things do not initially work as you expect, please contact support at email@example.com.
- An onboard help menu and a pdf manual provide additional instructions--new users are strongly
urged to read through the help file, which includes a short tutorial, before using the
- When you first run, you
will be asked to enter an access code and to agree to some legal stuff.
If you do not have an access code, you can run the Trial version, which will run for up to ten days.
If, after downloading and running the trial version, you decide you want to upgrade to the full-featured registered version,
- If things do not initially work as you expect, check out our
FAQ page or contact us.